An individual is the sum total of his/her personal attributes. You can tell who a person is by assessing how they behave in given circumstances or situations. People are bound to be different hence there should never be an expectation that people will be the same one day. They may agree on one issue strongly but be at a different tangent on a separate subject. The differences that people have make this world a wonderful place to be, it becomes so colorful and pleasurable to stay in. In this article I look at what I consider the important facets to an individual. These are attributes which when you possess you begin to stand head and shoulders above your own peers.
1. Pro-activity in situations – to be proactive is to be able to discern what needs to be done and then do it without even waiting to consult and follow the red tape. A proactive individual is preferred for leadership positions because sometimes you will not always have people to consult over an idea. As a leader you will have situations when you have to create or control a situation rather than always having to respond to what has happened (reactionary or reactivity).
2. Persistence to the end – This is the ability to be able to continue steadfastly at something in the midst of adversity and immense difficulty. People who persist to the end have a winning attitude, never giving up because of impending failure. Persistence is the willingness to push until there are results showing. Many people have great potential but lack the urge to push to the end.
3. Patience in tribulation – patience can be defined as the capacity to tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without becoming angry or upset. In life one may experience delays in getting what one needs, patience is important. Things may not happen according to your own timing or your own thinking but one has to develop tenacity to be solid, to hold on even when it does not make sense.
4. Peace in the midst of turmoil – When one is at peace they are free from disturbance, anxiety or stress. Peace is contentment with what is. It does not mean the absence of turmoil. One has to maintain their cool even if in the midst of chaos and threat of danger. Peace is a mental state that one must pursue. It therefore calls for one to master the art of ensuring that nothing ever disturbs the processes in the mind.
5. Personality that is pleasant – people who exude pleasant personalities create friends and network easily. These are people who know how to relate with other people. Roles that require human interaction such as leadership, customer care, sales, help desk and so on require someone who is friendly. Pleasant should never be confused with weak. These people are friendly and yet firm on their convictions and beliefs.
6. Positive character at all times – No one ever wants to be close to people who are always negative. Positive thinkers look at the brighter side of life, the side of possibility, the side of hoping against hope. These are constructive, optimistic and confident people. A positive person can easily attract a job or favor while a negative person looks on.
7. Professionalism and good work ethic – Professionalism is the competence or skill expected of a professional. A professional who is guided by a set of moral principles will always go far and beyond and ordinary person. When at work such an individual will not abuse company resources such as time, finances and so on. If you lack in principles then any behavior is acceptable to you.
More than just reading this article, make it a point to begin to do something about what you have read. Head knowledge is only important to the level of your willingness to implement what you read.